lunedì 18 giugno 2007

Hiking for My Breakfast

June 18, 2007

We live in a residence of Franklin College near the lake of Lugano. It's a beautiful building, and I'm very thankful to live there--we even have AC! But could somebody tell me, please, why is it that I have to participate in a fifteen-minute hike up the side of a mountain to get any food or learn anything from class?! I'm pretty sure that I will not make it up the next one, but if you see a mound of panting floral prints and gaucho pants on the side of the road, just plop it in your car and take it to the cafeteria, cause it's me.

Franklin College is beautiful, but what a hike at 7:40 in the morning! We got our breakfast after I shoved my heaving lungs back in my body, and then we had library orientation and class. Computer time (thank the Lord, computers!) was followed by lunch, and then Bekah, Lizzy, and I went to the coop in the downtown area and grabbed some food for dinner. We stopped in at the San Angioli church, which has a massive anticlassicism painting by Luini. It's gorgeous, but it sure is distracting! In the far right chapel of the church, right by the altar, is a tiny area completely darkened from lack of lamps or sunlight. Bring a flashlight with you, because that insignificant area houses the skeleton of Saint Leo, still in his chain mail with his saint ointment by his side. I ended up showing some old German tourists the skeleton, and they exclaimed over it and smiled widely at me--we couldn't understand anything else. I got in my bones for the day!

Lizzy and I made cookies as an afternoon snack, and the professors have been in and out trying to steal them all day. I told them they could only have them if they gave me an A, but I don't think they believed me. Um, I'd like an A, hello! Penne alla Caprese is next on the menu if I can ever leave this computer, so you'll hear from me in the next few days!

Nessun commento: