giovedì 31 maggio 2007

When in Rome...

May 29, 2007

Rome is a HUGE metropolis--home to 2.6 million people, it is made up by miles and miles of cobblestone streets that wind their way through the seven hills, past the colosseum, and straight past my hotel. We were up by 6:20 AM, a ridiculously early time for us who needed about 3 days worth of pure sleep, and we checked out and headed to the Vatican. I participated in my first bargaining bit quite unintentionally when I thought the hotel was trying to charge us an exhorbitant price for our rooms--50€ for THAT place? Our toilet wouldn't even stop running! Out of pure shock I said, "what?!" and walked away to figure it out, only to realize that we had agreed to that price in the first place in a fit of sheer desperation for a place. I was heading out to apologize and pay the man when Hillary walked in a told me he had just dropped the price by 10 € per person! YAY! Never settle when you can bargain!

We took the Metro to the Vatican, and I looked like a deformed turtle with my green backpack settled firmly on my front as caution against pickpockets. We arrived at the Vatican by 7:30, and the doors opened at 8:45--while most tourists arrive later and stand in line for 2-3 hours, we got in within fifteen minutes of the doors opening. Go us! It started raining halfway through our wait, however, and we huddled together for warmth. Mer, I'm so glad you told me to bring that rainjacket--it was needed today!

The Vatican was wonderful, and I saw the Egyptian exhibit! The Sistine Chapel was disappointing again, people crowded together like a herd of cattle and yelled at by the guards: "NO FLASH!" We escaped out a side passage and ended up in the stunning St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in the world. The immortal Rick Steves said that St. Peter's can accomodate 95,000 worshippers--the church is six acres large! My house fits into a mosaic chip, probably! It was absolutely beautiful, and I loved it--I saw a nun wearing an audioguide, and my adoration was hooked.

We found our next hotel, the Hotel Joli, after lunch, and I recommend that place to anyone staying in Rome. A five-person room with a private bath, breakfast included, and a view of St. Peter's from the window was only 35€ a night--excellent! We took a nap and headed back out, finding the Piazza del Popolo, which has Egyptian monuments, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, and the Capuchin Crypt. The Capuchin Crypt houses altars made from the bones of the Capuchin monks, beautiful works of art that are incredibly creepy at the same time. I will leave you with the words in the final room of the crypt:

We were what you are
You will become what we are now.

Nessun commento: